Thursday, August 19, 2010

Slinging

Wearing babies is nothing new, so really why it should get such funny looks I've no idea. But a pram is part of the new baby 'kit' and therefore difficult to avoid. And there is not much information out there about slings, whereas prams are EVERYWHERE!

So I got a pram. And a sling. It was a Baby Bjorn; babywearing devotees turn their noses up at it (I now know) because it does not hold the baby anatomically correctly. And it does hurt your back once they get heavy. But I loved it (until he got heavy, and my back hurt!). I remember walking around just me and my baby and it felt wonderful and snuggly and safe. And as a bonus he would often be asleep when I got home and I cold get a warm drink before he woke up.


Since then a friend converted me to the Ergo carrier. Which has the benefit of the Baby Bjorn - click-click and you can go. But it holds baby correctly, and can be used on the front, back and hip.


I also have a HotSling which is literally a hoop of fabric which baby can sit in on your hip when he is old enough to hold his head. It rolls up small. But is not great for long walks.
But for ages now I've had yearnings to try out a wrap. There are hundreds to choose from. And now I've found plenty of forums to get some advice. And today I got my hands on my first wrap. We love it.


There are numerous health benefits to babywearing - but taking the simple, practical basics - it leaves your hands free and you don't have to wrestle a pram over a style.

2 comments:

  1. I love slings! I wore both my babies (much to my mother's horror), and still cannot for the life of me see why any sane person would choose to push a giganic, unwieldy pram around with them, when they could just strap their baby on and go wherever they liked (with their own personal hot water bottle). Have fun with yours! The sling makes a great changing mat/picnic mat/impromptu blanket/etc too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Prams are good for proud grandmothers to take a stroll - I think I might have pursuaded her to take my little one in a sling at 8lbs, but not at 23lbs!!

    But yeah - you can't waft a pram around in the air to entertain a baby in the same way as you can a sling :o)

    ReplyDelete