Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Bobbins


I've been meaning to share with you some pictures of my lovely sewing machines.

I have two - my first came to me when I was little - because I wanted to use my mum's all the time and she got me this to distract me - what a lovely distraction!

I think it dates from 1907 (your Singer enthusiasts could tell me more!). That is what I worked out from the serial number anyway. There is a grapevine embossed on the metal plate. It comes in a case that locks with a key


I recently looked for a few extra spools that hold thread under the needle and amazed the gentleman in the shop that yes, I meant the OLD-style spool, which has this shuttle shape, rather than the round ones that sewing machines are all made with now.


Look at the lovely decoration on the top of the machine here too - what a beauty!
***

I was recently very lucky to recieve an electric sewing machine from a lovely lady on Freecycle. I've never been very confident with electrics, because I feel it will run away from me, but it's ok really, just need to be brave. This machine folds into an old Singer table and I can imagine them all lined up in a factory buzzing away.



It has a little drawer for bobbins



Which is sometimes raided by Tomas (we have enough problems baby-proofing regular drawers)


And here it is standing proud - a Cresta. Not so famous as Singer - but it does extra stiches, little tiny ones, long ones and zig-zag ones.


No comments:

Post a Comment