Thursday, June 03, 2010

Hawthorn Booze

Now what did I do with the hawthorn blossom? Well it has been used to infuse some vodka and brandy and the results are quite nice.

On Sunday evening I put the blossom into some muslin cloth to make a teabag. I then looked at our drinks cupboard and found the dregs of some vodka and some brandy. I simply poured them into some kilner jars and shoved in the tea bag. A good shake, and a sniff, every day for four days and now I have something quite interesting.

The vodka (on the left) has really taken on a brown colour. The brandy started off much darker so no change there. Both smell strongly of a beautiful almond, almost marzipan, aroma. I then poured them back into their bottles. I had to give the teabag a good squeeze as a good percentage of the drink was absorbed into the cloth and blossom. The initial drink was clear but squeezing the teabag move some musty liquid into the mix.

Opening the teabag I can see that not all the blossom parted with its flavours. It must have been packed too tight. Next time I do this I will not use a teabag, I'll just pop the blossom in straight and filter it afterwards.

The real question is what does it taste like?! As I said before the smell is amazing which for any drink is important. I am not a vodka fan but the result was quite nice. There is a dry earthy taste on top of the almond taste. Just the same taste as if you eat the blossom straight from the tree, maybe not a surprise. The brandy however worked slightly differently. The brandy and almond combination was perfect. It took on a creamy taste that then disappeared to leave a more subtle earthy taste. I think I need to go and pick a lot more blossom and buy a new bottle of brandy...

No comments:

Post a Comment