Friday, June 04, 2010

Large Red Damselfly

The pond is looking really healthy at the moment. Plenty of little frogs poking their heads out between the plants. And plenty of pond snails that seem to have bred so well. I was just outside topping the pond up with rain water when I spotted a damselfly.

By the time I went indoors to get my camera it had met up with a second and began to mate.

I am no dragonfly expert so I looked up the British Dragonfly Society to get my identification. This is the "Pyrrhosoma nymphula - Large Red Damselfly". There are only two red varieties in the UK. This is the common variety found over most of the country. The Small Red Damselfly, the other, is rare and not found up north but is easily differentiated by its reddish legs. I managed to get a photo of the pair in the wheel formation. What a nice find.

No comments:

Post a Comment