Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Barmy for Berries

We have just come through a very cold winter for the UK. And I think this has made nature think twice about its efforts this year. Are we looking at an abundance of berries?

As part of a plan to map my local wild food resources I thought I would drive the scenic route back home through the moors. In previous years we have enjoyed the fresh bilberry pickings near by. Unfortunately last year we were too busy with our new baby to get involved. This year though I am determined to make the most of these most delicious wild berries on our doorstep.

It is obviously months before the crop is due, and there are many other foods to pick before then, but I had to stop the car and check out how the plants had fared through the weeks of thick snow. There was no doubt they would be fine but I was really happy to find the thousands of plants covered in lots and lots of new red flowers ready to make my favourite fruit.

The same goes for the hawthorn at the back of our garden. This has now fully recovered from the major pruning operation of two years ago and is riddled head to toe with buds ready to flower. As a plant known for its May blossom I wonder if it has been delayed by that cold weather or will we see it in its full glory very soon?

No comments:

Post a Comment