Sunday, May 23, 2010

Wild Food Forage

Today we went on a guided wild food forage around Sheffield thanks to maxsalad. It was a fantastic day and we found many different edible plants and herbs. I have made notes on all the information we were given and have taken photos, all of which I will post in the near future. Here is some wild garlic to get your tastebuds going. A bit late on in the season now for the leaves, but the lower part of the flower stems where tender and flavoursome.

We also managed to get the plants we bought on Saturday in the ground. I have put the garden mint plant in a pot, in the ground, to keep those roots in tow. Mint does love to take over a herb patch if you are not careful, so planting it in a pot makes it easier to manage. In fact to show how strong willed mint can be I was amazed to find growing, really well in an old pot that had been outside all winter, a lemon mint I bought two years ago. I completely forgot about it. The roots where jam-packed and there was plenty of dead stems pointing between the few leaves. I was brutal and ripped them off and took away some of the excess roots. We shall see if it can survive that.

No comments:

Post a Comment